IMAM POSITION AVAILABLE
The London Muslim Mosque (LMM) is seeking an individual who is well versed in Islamic sciences and can work well in the North American culture to fill the position of LMM Imam. The Imam is expected to perform a wide range of duties that include community-related responsibilities and obligations related to the interaction with society at large.
The Imam is expected to provide vibrant and dynamic leadership for the Muslim community in London in accordance with the Quran and the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace be upon him). The role of the Imam in motivating and working with young Muslims and in maintaining the unity of the community is of utmost importance.
The successful applicant should have a degree in Islamic studies from a reputable Islamic University. Higher degrees or additional Ijazat in Islamic Sciences are considered assets.
Skills and Qualities:
We are looking for a dynamic Imam with excellent interpersonal skills who can strengthen the unity of the community and work with various Mosque committees to maintain a vibrant and dynamic environment. The Imam should be fluent in the Arabic and English languages.
The successful applicant should have good communication skills, the ability to relate to members of different age groups and gender, the ability to mediate and provide religious guidance in family issues and be sensitive to the various community needs. The Imam is expected to interact successfully with the media, religious and non-religious organizations, and other Muslim organizations and Mosques.
- The Imam shall report to the Board of Directors of the LMM and should be able to attend its meetings when invited.
- The Imam is bound by the Bylaws of LMM and the policies set by its Board of Directors.
- The Imam is expected to work 40 hours a week. During Ramadan, Eid, and other special occasions, duties may require additional hours.
- The Imam should maintain regular and convenient office hours at the Masjid to provide an opportunity for consultation and guidance to the members of the community.
- The Imam should normally lead the daily, Friday, Eid, and funeral prayers at the Mosque.
- The Imam should manage the logistics related to the establishment of daily, Friday, Eid, and funeral prayers.
- The Imam should be responsible for leading and conducting Islamic contracts of marriage and divorce.
- The Imam should, in consultation with the Imam Advisory Committee, draft a policy regarding guest speakers who would be invited to give khutba, lectures, and halaqas.
- The Imam should review all religious instructions, halaqas, workshops, and lectures delivered at the Mosque in consultation with the Imam Advisory Committee.
- The Imam should support and facilitate current ongoing activities at the Mosque, including the established Quran Hifz Program (QHP).
- The Imam is expected to be sensitive to the community's religious needs.
- The Imam is expected to provide guidance, participate, and interact actively with the various Mosque committees.
- The Imam shall oversee Islamic instructions offered by the London Islamic School.
- The Imam shall represent the community in dealing with various religious communities, Muslims and non-Muslims. The Imam should report these activities to the Board on a regular basis.
- The Imam shall respond to requests from non-religious organizations dealing with matters concerning the Muslim community in London. These responses should be coordinated with the Board of Directors.
- The Imam should provide an Islamic perspective to modern-day issues that concern the Muslim community in London.
- The Imam should prepare a yearly plan for the Mosque-supported activities with the help of the Imam Advisory Committee. The plan should outline the annual goals for the Imam.
- Special attention in the yearly plan should be given to the youth activities.
Imam performance will be measured by the degree of achievement of the yearly goals as given in the annual plan and the success of the suggested programs.
Applicants should submit names and contact information for three references that the search committee can contact.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be commensurate with education and experience.
HOW TO APPLY